Jesus is speaking to us here and now.
Lectio divina is a practice of Scripture reading that treats the Bible not only as a text to be examined, but also as the living Word of God spoken anew to us. Experienced Bible teacher Jan Johnson gives us forty Scripture meditations, organized topically, giving us the tools we need to practice lectio divina on our own. Each meditation can be used both individually and in group settings, and includes:
- An introductory space of quiet along with an optional preparatory exercise
- The full text of a passage from Scripture with explanations of unusual or important words, and with cultural and historical background as needed
- Cues to help us enter the text
- Space to contemplate the passage, respond to God in prayer and rest in his presence
- And an exercise to "try on" one of the main ideas of the passage in our daily lives.
Meeting God in Scripture moves us beyond merely understanding what the text meant in its original context to a direct spiritual encounter with Christ.